Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Tropical Paradise


    So George, David, Sam, and I all decided to go diving every day of the week to see which nights would yield the most food so we know when it would be best to go diving. George and I assume that Fridays and Saturdays will provide the most food since the store we go to is always busy at the end of the week. So far we've only missed Sunday (I'll publicly blame George for that!) but we can easily make up for it next Sunday.

    Before I joyfully give you the details on tonight's find I'll describe to you how our group usually dives for things just so you guys can picture what's going on easier. The guys are both really tall so they can obviously reach things easily. This means that they can get into the garbage without trouble. Sam and I on the other hand are both very petite so we wait beside the dumpsters until the guys have a full box or bag of goodies. Then they hand over the stash to Sam and I and we carry it to our car. So far this is what works best for us and is how we always do our diving runs. (To be honest I was really eager to jump into the garbage despite the smell until I realized It would be really hard to get out... now I bite my tongue at my lack of adventure and smelly-ness and just wait patiently for food to be handed to me.)

   Now, on to our delicious story!
   Because we decided to do this dive-for-a-week thing we've been losing a lot of sleep. I decided to take a nap around 10 but my alarm didn't go off! Thankfully David woke me up by scratching at my door (which also scared the crap out me) and we were off. When we got to our usual place though, there was a guy hanging out (at 1 in the morning, what the heck?) right next to the dumpster. We weren't sure if he worked for the store that the dumpster belongs to or if he was just some weirdo so we decided to wait. I kind of spaced out until half an hour later when the guy left. Then I spaced out for a while longer waiting for the guys to hand over the goods. We almost left home empty handed until David found one lonely pineapple at the bottom of the dumpster. Then they made an incredible discovery! 3 boxes full of pineapples!! It was as if the dumpster gods had answered our prayers because literally that night we were complaining how we needed more pineapple to grill when Sam's mom visits!

The next morning I got up, counted 17 pineapples, and chopped them all up. Most of them were bad but I managed to fill a whole bag to freeze and pretty big container to put in the fridge which makes me one happy girl!




Happy Diving!
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment